Registration information and FAQs

Important Information for Students Traveling Abroad: The safety and well being of our students are always our first priority. Faculty leaders, program coordinators and administrators regularly monitor situations that potentially pose risk to our students abroad.

We will cancel any program that we determine endangers the safety of our students and staff. We monitor U.S. Department of State information and cancel all classes to locations for which travel warnings have been issued. You are encouraged to review the U.S. Department of State website so that you can make an informed decision to participate in your study abroad experience. We encourage students traveling abroad to register for the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Program.

Please feel free to contact us at with additional questions or concerns.

Can I go on a trip without signing up for the course or courses? No. All classes/trips must be taken for credit. There are no exceptions. However, many of the people taking these courses are NOT traditional students. Many of the people in these classes may not "want" the course credit, but they choose these programs because they want to learn about the subject matter of the trip. Grading options can be arranged with the faculty to reflect these choices.

How much work is involved with the courses? It really depends on the course. For outdoor weekend adventures such as rock climbing, canoeing and backpacking, students must show an effort to learn the associated skills. Many times these courses are graded on a satisfactory/fail basis. Other classes have requirements that must be completed for a course grade. Check with our office or the faculty leader for more information on a specific course.

Can I take courses on a satisfactory/fail basis? Most times, yes, but it is up to the instructor. The satisfactory/fail option usually allows a student to complete less work than would be required for an "A" or "B" grade.

Are payment plans available? Yes. For courses with fees over $500, payment plans are available. Payment plans may vary by course.  Contact our office for details.

What is the refund policy? FEES FOR TRAVEL AND LODGING ARE NON-REFUNDABLE (Travel protection information is available in our office for students wishing to purchase trip insurance.) Students are responsible for withdrawing from a course by contacting the Field Studies/Study Abroad office. Students who do not pay their tuition bills will not be automatically withdrawn from these courses. If there is a waiting list and we are able to find a student to take your place, we will refund your money unless a penalty is incurred from the airline or other vendor. If there is a medical emergency, we will make every effort to refund your money.

What is the experience level required? Unless it is noted, all courses are fine for beginners. Some courses are created to offer skill options at various levels. Check with the instructor if you have questions or concerns about your skill level.

Will all of the students be 18 or 19 years old? Although it's hard to predict who will register for a class, the average age of students participating in our classes is approximately 35 years old. It is not uncommon for classes to have students 18 years old, 80 years old, and everywhere in between.

What equipment do I need? Different courses have different equipment needs. For the outdoor weekend adventures, group camping equipment is provided: tents, pots and pans, camp stoves, canoes, ropes, etc. Students must provide their own personal gear for most camping trips. Contact the office or the faculty leader for specific equipment needs.

Can I sign up for a course before my regular COD registration date? Particularly in the case of more expensive trips, students may register for and begin making payments before their registration date.

What is the experience level of instructors? All lead instructors must be experienced teachers who have experience both in the classroom and in leading field trips. We are committed to using only certified Lead Instructors whenever a commonly accepted certification exists.

Do these classes count for graduation credit? Yes. All classes offered through this department count toward graduation credit, either as electives or required courses.

If I really enjoy a certain class, can I take it again? You may take as many courses designated 1800 as you'd like. As long as the class title is different, you will get additional credit for the class. You may even take the same class over however your grade will be recorded as "R" for repeat, and you will receive no additional credit for the course.

How to Take a Field Studies Course

Search "Course Listings" or obtain a copy of the Class Schedule to browse the upcoming courses. Whether you are a new or returning student at College of DuPage, appointment times to register for classes will vary. For information on when you may register, check myACCESS or contact Student Registration Services at (630) 942-2377.

To Register

Self-registration is available by logging on to myACCESS.

The Field Studies/Study Abroad staff can assist you with registration.  We are located in Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3520, or call us at (630) 942-2356. 

Contact Information

Field and Experiential Learning, Study Abroad and Global Education
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3520
General inquiries: (630) 942-2356

College of DuPage

425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137

(630) 942-2800 (Main)

(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)

  2019 College of DuPage