Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center (HEC)
- Completed in fall of 2011, this $25 million facility was funded through proceeds from a successful 2002 capital referendum.
- It is approximately 66,000 square feet.
- The HEC houses the college's Criminal Justice, Fire Science/EMS, Police Department and the Suburban Law Enforcement Academy.
- This comprehensive, multi-jurisdictional training center features
- A full-scale indoor street scene for force-on-force exercises
- Forensics and cybercrimes labs
- A command center designed to instruct National Incident Management System protocols
- A smoke room with moveable walls for EMS, fire rescue simulations
- An outdoor scaling and rappelling tower, and a full-size ambulance.
- COD is one of the few educational institutions in the U.S. selected to receive a relic from the Twin Towers following 9/11. The HEC has installed a permanent memorial to 9/11 that has as its focal point a ceiling beam from one of the buildings. The beam is 27" by 127" and weighs more than one thousand pounds.
- This facility places College of DuPage at the forefront of first responder training in the Midwest. Approximately 7,600 individuals are expected to receive training through the HEC annually.
Architect/Engineer: Legat Architects
Construction Manager: Power Construction Company
A State-of-the-Art Resource
The new Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center is a testament to COD's commitment to providing student's access to the latest tools and facilities.
HEC Utilized During NATO Summit
Numerous state and federal agencies and the military recently used the Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center at College of DuPage as the State Forward Operations in support of the NATO Summit in Chicago.
Mass Casualty Simulation Exercise
Central DuPage Hospital and College of DuPage EMT and Nursing student participated in a mass casualty simulation exercise at the Homeland Education Center on the campus of College of DuPage. The exercise was primarily used to train Central DuPage paramedic students in how to respond to a large number of people injured in a mass shooting situation.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2018 College of DuPage