Tel.: (630) 942-4174
McAninch Arts Center (MAC), Room 294
Areas of Research Interest:
- African music, especially Zimbabwean mbria music
- African-American Pentecostal music
- History of American music
Recent Courses Taught:
- Music 1100 - Music Appreciation
- World music
- American music
- several undergraduate and graduate survey courses in music history and literature
- The study of mbira music from Zimbabwe
- The study of African-American Pentecostal congregation in Champaign, IL
Selected Publications, Presentations, Performances, Books:
- Book review of Images: Iconography of Music in African American Culture, in Notes: Quarterly Journal of the Music Library Association.
- "Ain't Going Nowhere? The Relationship between Music and Text in Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car,'" paper presented at College Music Society Annual Meeting, Toronto, November 2000.
- "Experiments in Music Appreciation and Interactive Television," paper published in the Proceedings of the Fifth International Directions in Music Learning Conference, San Antonio, 1998.
- "Reflections on Ethnography and Salvation in the Study of Apostolic Pentecostal Church," paper presented at the Society for Ethnomusicology Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, 1997.
- "Pentecostal Doctrine and Musical and Ritual Flexibility," paper published in Community
of Music, Cat and Elephant Press (Champaign).
- Ph.D. Musicology, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- M.A. Music Theory and Composition, University of Minnesota
- B.A. Philosophy, University of Minnesota
Awards and Recognitions:
- Outstanding Faculty Member Award, Mortar Board Senior Honor Society, Central Michigan University, 1998
- Distinguished Service Award, Minority Affairs Office, Central Michigan University, 1994
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2014 College of DuPage