Naheed R. Hasan
Naheed R. Hasan, Ph.D.
Office: Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2707E
- Ph.D. University of Houston, May 1996, Major: Developmental Psychology
- M.A. University of Houston, August 1993, Major: Psychology
- B.Sc. University of Dhaka, December 1986, Major: Psychology (Honors)
Areas of Interest:
- Teaching: General Psychology, Child Development, Adolescent Development, Lifespan Development, Research Methods, Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
- Stress & Coping
- Cognitive Appraisal of Stressful Life Events
- Cross-cultural studies of Stress and Socio-cognitive development
- Parenting and Children's Socio-cognitive development
- I have a keen interest in using alternative modes of instruction. I am currently teaching two "hybrid courses": General Psychology and Developmental Psychology: Childhood. I am also teaching an Honors class and have taught an interdisciplinary course "The Art of Being" (psychology and Introduction to Humanities) under the Title VI a - Global Studies Program. I have taught online psychology course at the Rock Valley College as well as intense Block course under the semester system.
- Hasan, N. & Power, T. (2002). Optimism and Pessimism in Children: A Study of Parental Behavior. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 26(2), 185-191.
- Hasan, N. & Power, T. (2004). Children's Appraisal of Major Life Events. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry.
Work In Progress:
- Cross Cultural Study of Depression, Optimism, and Pessimism in elementary school-age Children of Bangladesh and United States.
- An Empirical Study of Nature of Stress and Coping of elementary school-age children of Bangladesh.
- Advisor of two Student Clubs, EFG (Endowment for Future Generations) and Psi Beta
- EFG's has three principle goals protecting the environment, fostering sound mental and physical health, and reducing violence in the community. We are currently working with "Wheaton Care Center" and the "Hamdard Shelter" in Addison (organization that works with domestic violence victims mostly, women and children.
- Psi Beta is a National Honor Society for students in psychology at Community Colleges. Psi Beta has four goals: promoting scholarship, leadership, doing community service projects and research. Psi Beta won the "Wadsworth Publishers Outstanding Chapter Award" in 2004.
- Society for Research on Child Development (SRCD)
- Midwest Psychological Association (MPA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- The Chicago Council on Foreign Relations
- Nominated for Faculty Award by Students in the 2003-2004 academic year.
- Psi Beta won the "Wadsworth Publishers Outstanding Chapter Award" in 2004.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2014 College of DuPage