M. Ahmad Chaudhry, Ph. D.
M. Ahmad Chaudhry, Ph.D.
Dean, Biology and Health Sciences
Office: Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 1214
Dr. Chaudhry received his Ph.D. degree in Molecular Biology from the University of Manchester, UK. He did postdoctoral research work at Massachusetts Institute of Technology before joining University of Pennsylvania as a Senior Research Investigator. Dr. Chaudhry joined the University of Vermont as a tenure track faculty, received tenure, and later on promotion to full professor. Before joining College of DuPage as Dean, Biology and Health Sciences, he served as Professor and Chair of the Department of Public and Allied Health, Bowling Green State University.
Dr. Chaudhry’s research interest are in the areas of Radiation Biology, Genomics and Epigenetics, DNA Damage and Repair, DNA Microarrays, microRNA, and Next generation massively parallel sequencing. His research explores the biological effects that are induced in cells after exposure to therapeutic doses of ionizing radiation. This knowledge is critical to enhance the tumor cell killing by radiation. Dr. Chaudhry is an author of 45 peer reviewed articles and 47 abstracts. He has reviewed over 100 manuscripts that were submitted for publication to 41 international scientific journals. In addition, he has reviewed research grants for 7 national or international funding agencies including one of NIH study sections. He currently serves on the editorial board of four international scientific journals. He has chaired symposiums at international meetings and have given scientific talk at these meetings. Dr. Chaudhry has mentored numerous undergraduate/graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and junior faculty.
Selected Publications (out of 45 peer reviewed scientific papers)
- Chaudhry, M. A. (2014). Radiation-induced microRNA: Discovery, functional analysis, and cancer radiotherapy. J Cell Biochem. 115: 436–449.
- Chaudhry, M. A. (2014). Small nucleolar RNA host genes and long non-coding RNA responses in directly irradiated and bystander cells. Cancer Biotherapy & Radiopharmaceuticals. 29: 135-141.
- Accardo, J. and Chaudhry, M. A. (2014). Radiation exposure and privacy concerns surrounding full-body scanners in airports. Journal of Radiation Research and Applied Sciences. 7: 198-200.
- Chaudhry, M. A. (2013). Expression pattern of small nucleolar RNA host genes and long Non-coding RNA in X- rays-treated lymphoblastoid cells. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 14: 9099-9110.
- Omaruddin, R. A., Roland, T. A., Wallace III, H. J., and Chaudhry, M. A. (2013). Gene expression as a biomarker for human radiation exposure. Human Cell. 26: 2-7.
- Chaudhry, M. A., Omaruddin, R. A., Tariq, M. A., and Pourmand, N. (2013). Identification of radiation-induced microRNA transcriptome by next-generation massively parallel sequencing. Journal of Radiation Research. 54: 808–822.
- Lhakhang, T. W. and Chaudhry, M. A. (2012). Interactome of radiation-induced micro-RNA predicted target genes. Comparative and Functional Genomics 2012: 569731.
- Chaudhry, M. A. and Omaruddin, R. A. (2012). Differential DNA methylation alterations in radiation sensitive and resistant cells. DNA and Cell Biology. 31: 908-916.
- Chaudhry, M. A., Omaruddin, R. A., Kreger, B., de Toledo, S. M., and Azzam, E. I. (2012). Micro RNA responses to chronic or acute low doses of radiation exposure. Mol. Biol. Reports. 39: 7549-7558.
- Chaudhry, M. A. and Omaruddin, R. A. (2012). Transcriptional changes of mitochondrial genes in irradiated cells proficient or deficient in p53. Journal of Genetics. 91: 105-110.
- Lhakhang, T. W. and Chaudhry, M. A. (2012). Current approaches to micro-RNA analysis and target gene prediction. J Applied Genetics. 53: 149-158.
- Chaudhry, M. A. and Omaruddin, R. A. (2012). Differential regulation of microRNA expression in irradiated and bystander cells. Molecular Biology. 46: 569-578.
- Chaudhry, M. A. and Prelock, P. A. (2012). Enhancing the research and scholarship enterprise. Nurse Educator. 37: 54-55.
- Chaudhry, M. A. and Omaruddin, R. A. (2011). Mitochondrial gene expression in directly irradiated and non-irradiated bystander cells. Cancer Biotherapy & Radiopharmaceuticals. 26: 657-663.
- Chaudhry, M. A. (2011). Co-curricular Education Assessment. Radiologic Technology. 83: 90-91.
- Chaudhry, M. A. (2011). Assessment of Microbiology students’ progress with an audience response system. J Microbiology and Biology Education. 12: 200-201.
- Chaudhry, M. A., Sachdeva, H. and Omaruddin, R. A. (2010). Radiation-induced micro-RNA
modulation in glioblastoma cells differing in DNA-repair pathways. DNA and Cell Biology. 29: 553-561.
- Chaudhry, M. A. (2010). Strategies for detecting genomic DNA methylation: A survey of US patents. Recent Patents on DNA & Gene Sequences. 4: 79-85.
- Chaudhry, M. A., Kreger, B. and Omaruddin, R. A. (2010). Transcriptional modulation of micro-RNA in human cells differing in radiation sensitivity. International Journal of Radiation Biology. 86: 569-583.
- Omaruddin, R. A. and Chaudhry, M. A. (2010). Detection of genomic DNA methylation with Denaturing High-Performance Liquid Chromatography. Human Cell. 23: 41-49.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage