GIVING GARLAND PROJECT
Make a child's holiday brighter by taking a tag from the GIVING GARLAND hanging along the large window wall in the SSC Atrium. This is a promise to purchase a minimum of $25 worth of suggested gifts. Packages will be given to Humanitarian Service Project and distributed to 50 children in DuPage County who may not otherwise receive gifts this season.
Tags are expected to go quickly, so claim yours soon! Send an email to CODCares@cod.edu with your name, the child's name and child's family number.
Please bring the gifts together with the associated COD Cares tag for wrapping to the GIVING GARLAND HOLIDAY EVENT on Thursday, Dec. 18 or Community Relations office (BIC 1645) by Wednesday, Dec 17. See below for more information about the event.
Teens and seniors from Metropolitan Family Services will also find joy through donated gift items that are collected in the COD Cares bins in the SSC Atrium and the MAC. Here are some suggested gift items:
- Nail polish
- Hair accessories
- Costume jewelry
- Fashion scarves
- Team apparel
- Hair products
- Slipper socks
- Lap blankets
- Books (large print, if possible)
- Knitting kits
- Winter outerwear
- Holiday lotions
- Flameless candles
GIVING GARLAND HOLIDAY EVENT
All collected gifts will be wrapped by COD Cares Action Heroes at the Giving Garland Holiday Event on Thursday, Dec. 18 in SRC 2000 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Enjoy a feature length version of the classic movie Elf, holiday cookies and beverages.
*The first 30 people to arrive donned in ugly holiday attire will receive a special gift!
** If you are a COD Action Hero and signed up to wrap gifts on Dec. 18, but have not chosen a shift yet, please email CODCares@cod.edu for further instructions.
Holiday Volunteer Opportunities
- Operation Basket Brigade is looking for volunteers to accept donations and build holiday food baskets for 400 local families in need at the VFW Post #2164, 731 Papworth Street in Wheaton. Help is needed to accept and sort donations on Nov. 20 or build baskets on Nov. 25.
- During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays Bloomingdale Township and Volunteer Council develop a list of eligible families to put on their "Adopt a Family" list. With your help, they are able to supply hundreds of holiday food baskets to needy Township families. Anyone interested in helping with the Holiday Food Basket program can call for more information at 630-529-9993.
- Holiday bakers are needed to bring good cheer! Find our how to share your favorite cookies with those served by Advocate Hospice. Check the website for more dates and drop off information.
- Celebrate the season Saturday, Dec. 6 with the Jingle Bell 5K Volunteers are needed to run, walk and help at the event at Cantigny Park in Wheaton. All proceeds support the Arthritis Foundation.
Community Organizations Requesting COD Cares Support
- Ray Graham Association is looking for a few do-it-yourselfers to help assemble grills, exercise bikes and furniture to be used in the many group homes throughout the County. If you love projects and would like to give back to the community, please contact Linda Gurgone, director of grants, at 630-620-2222 or by email at LindaG@Raygraham.org.
- Run, walk or trot in the 31st Annual Dan Gibbons Turkey Trot, Thanksgiving Day November 27, 2014 at 9 a.m. Proceeds from the event will benefit several DuPage non-profits. Volunteers are also needed the day of the event to help with registration, directing the runners, handing out water, etc. Call Anne Banks for more information: 630.512.9921 ext. 205.
- DuPage Pads is committed to ending homelessness in our community. Their Interim Housing Program needs your help. To find out how you can be part of the solution, click the link.
- Midwest Shelter for Homeless Veterans in Wheaton provides transitional and affordable housing programs and supportive services to U.S. Veterans of any era to help them out of homelessness and back to useful, productive lives. They are currently looking for assistance with serving meals, painting and landscaping the shelter. To offer your time and talent, click on the link above.
COD Cares About What You Care About
Which charity calls you an "Action Hero"? Email CODCares@cod.edu to tell us about your favorite national or local District 502 organization and why it is special to you! We can include it on this page or add it to our growing list of monthly group service activities.
Ami Chambers, Community Relations Coordinator, (630) 942-3823
2014 College of DuPage