(We suggest using either Chrome or Firefox browsers.)
Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017
- Food Truck Rally / Touch-A-Truck: 2 to 7:30 p.m.
- Dueling Ice Sculptors: 3 p.m.
- 100-Yard Youth Dash: 4 p.m.
- Sunset 5K Run/Walk: 5 p.m.
Location and 5K Course
College of DuPage Football Stadium (start/finish)
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
More scenic route in 2017! View course map
USATF certification #IL-17056-NM
CARA certification (pending)
- New This Year
- Registration Information
- 100-yard Youth Dash
- Race Packets
- Event Parking
- Additional Information
NEW THIS YEAR
This is why you should always take a minute and fill out surveys...
You spoke and we listened! Changes this year include:
- Additional registration stations
- Added 700+ parking spots
- Finisher medals for everyone! (You get a finisher medal, and you get a finisher medal! Everyone gets a finisher medal!)
- Predicted pace lineup to prevent the dreaded "start line clog"
- Designate your race fee proceeds to the high school district of your choice (options available are those served by College of DuPage)
- Youth Dash participants will each receive an unchipped bib!
- Age categories for the Youth Dash have been adjusted for a fairer competition.
Register now! (Use either Chrome or Firefox browsers)
- You do not need to register for the 5K to attend the Food Truck Rally.
- STRONG RECOMMENDATION: Register online and pick up your packet before race day to avoid lines. (Due to great weather last year, lines were longer than expected.)
- Team registration will be available online and onsite (credit card only).
- Children ages 4 and younger can participate in the 5K for free and without registration.
- Walkers and strollers are welcome and will be asked to position themselves behind the runners at the starting line.
- CARA members receive $5.00 discount beginning Sun., 6/11.
- Bicycles, in-line skates, and other wheeled vehicles (except wheelchairs and strollers) are not allowed.
- For technical assistance with online registration, please call Active.com Consumer
Support line at (877) 228-4881, option 4.
RACE DAY REGISTRATION
If you are positive you want to wait until race day to register, YOUR BEST BET is to do so online independently and pick up your packet at the event. See below for packet pickup information.
- Race day Youth Dash registration shuts down at 3:45 p.m. SHARP.
- Race day 5K registration shuts down at 4 p.m. SHARP.
- We recommend arriving no later than 3 p.m. to avoid lines.
- 5K race day registrations after 4 p.m. are not guaranteed ranking or a race packet, including official race tech shirt and drawstring backpack.
- Onsite cash race day registration will not be available.
2017 5K Run/Walk
THE BIG DAY! Sat., 9/23
*Currently Enrolled COD Student-priced Registration Information:
- Student clubs interested in registering and paying with club funds should email COD5K@cod.edu for instructions on how to do so.
- Enrollment status is subject to verification. Student ID number is required at the time of registration.
- College of DuPage students who register for the 5K at the discounted price will still
receive complete race packets, including chipped bibs, official race tech shirt, and
Register Now! (Use either Chrome or Firefox browsers)
- New format to offer a fairer competition. There will be three separate dashes: ages 4/5, then 6/7, ending with 8/9-year olds.
- 4 p.m. start time on football field
- $5.00 registration fee
- Fee applies in advance and on race day
- We recommend registering in advance to avoid lines.
- Youth Dash registration closes promptly at 3:45 p.m.
- $25 Visa gift cards will be awarded to the fastest girl and boy in each age division during Awards Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. on the stage west of the Food Truck Rally.
- Unofficially timed with stopwatches and eagle-eyed Crossfit employees
- All Youth Dash participants will receive a congratulatory medal and an unchipped bib.
- 5K shirts (adult sizes only) are available for purchase through Active.com at the time of registration.
- Teams consist of 3-15 people and are created/managed on Active.com.
- Day-of registration (credit card only) will be available for new teams or additional team members.
- Winning teams will be announced during the Awards Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. on the stage west of the Food Truck Rally.
- Winners must be present to accept awards.
- Only teams with at least three (3) registered members and official times will qualify.
- If the Top Overall Male or Female is a member of the fastest team, he or she will
not be eligible to receive a $50 Whole Foods gift card.
- When: Between 4 and 4:30 p.m.
- Where: At the 5K start line on the football field
- Then what?: Photos will be emailed to the Team Captain within a week of the event.
Fastest Team Award
Each member of the fastest team will receive a $50 Whole Foods gift card! The winning team's time will be based on the average of top three team members' times.
*Please note there will no longer be a "Luck of the Draw" team award. Instead, each team member will receive an armband to hold your favorite electronic device while you train for next year's race.
TO CREATE A TEAM, the person designated as the captain enters the team name during self-registration. (Decide on the name in advance to save time.)
- Captain has the option to require a password for others to join.It is suggested that the captain communicate with potential members that the team has been created and what the password is, if any.
TO JOIN A TEAM, you will search for and select the team name during self-registration.
(Teams may be created after an individual registers themselves by going to myevents.active.com.)
5K participants will receive bib assignments and a short-sleeved technical shirt in a nylon drawstring backpack. Packets may be picked up by someone other than the registrant, however we ask that you are mindful of not switching bib numbers. Youth dashers do not receive a packet.
PRE-RACE PACKET PICKUP
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that 5K participants pick up packets ahead of time to avoid lines and congestion on race day.
Thursday, September 21 (4 to 8 p.m.)
- Naperville Running Company in downtown Wheaton
- 102 West Front Street
Friday, September 22 (12 to 6 p.m.)
- College of DuPage
- Student Resource Center (outside the cafeteria)
Friday, September 22 (4 to 8 p.m.)
- Naperville Running Company in downtown Naperville
- 34 West Jefferson Avenue
RACE DAY PACKET PICKUP
It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that 5K participants pick up their packets ahead of time to avoid lines and congestion on race day.
- This year, there will be five packet pick-up lines for pre-registered participants based on the first letter of last names.
- Packet Pickup stations will open at 2:30 p.m. and shut down at 4 p.m.
- We suggest you arrive *no later* than 3 p.m. to pick up your packet(s).
- Located in College Road, parking lot 1A (Registration HQ)
- Of course, we hope Mother Nature cooperates and gives us great weather. If that happens (and it will!), lines will be longer.
The Awards Ceremony will take place on the stage west of the Food Truck Rally at 6:30 p.m. announcing:
- Top Overall Male and Female runners
- "Middle of the Pack" winner
- Six fastest Youth Dashers
- Fastest Team
Additional Awards Information
- Everyone can pick up a finisher medal at the finish line before they leave since they will not be mailed.
- AGE GROUP AWARDS: The top three male and female winners of each age group will receive
a fancy medal in their mailbox within one week of the event.
- Under 14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-59, 60-64, 65-69, and Over 70
- Age group awards are based on chip time.
- Overall awards are based on gun time.
- The "Middle of the Pack" award is calculated after the final race participant crosses the finish line and will be the median time of the first and last finisher.
Two extra parking lots totaling over 700 additional spots have been added for the 2017 event!
Ample free parking will be available on the north and south sides of campus, including Fawell Blvd. lots A, and C, and College Road, lots 1 and 2. There will be plenty of volunteers and clear signage to direct you to the event from all parking areas.
Accessible parking is available on the north side College lot 1, but please note that anyone in that lot may not leave the premises for safety reasons while the 5K Run/Walk is occurring between approximately 4:45 and 6:30 p.m.
AID STATIONS and COMFORT STATIONS
There will be an aid station and water stop along the course to ensure happy and safe
participants. Restrooms are located within the Physical Education Center (PEC), just north
and west of the festivities.
- This event will proceed rain or shine.
- College of DuPage is a tobacco-free campus.
- All registration payments are final.
- No refunds will be processed unless a doctor's note specifically referencing a need to cancel registration for the College of DuPage Sunset 5K is submitted to COD5K@cod.edu by Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, at 11:59 p.m. CST.
- There is no fee to transfer registrations to a different category. However, the participant
will be charged the difference.
Participants can follow the below steps to transfer to a different registration category after logging into myevents.active.com:
1. Locate your registration
2. Click Change event category
3. Select your new category
4. Click Continue
5. Verify your registration information
6. Agree to all waivers
7. Enter your electronic signature
8. Click Continue
9. Click Complete
- If you need special accommodations for the 5K Run/Walk, please e-mail COD5K@cod.edu or call Ami Chambers, race co-director, at (630) 942-3823.
- For Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations, call (630) 942-2141 (voice) or
(630) 858-9692 (TDD).
This race has been certified by the Chicago Area Runners Association since the inaugural event in 2011.
For More Information:
2016 Sunset 5K
More than 1,100 people representing over 100 towns and six states stepped off in the 6th annual COD Sunset 5K.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2017 College of DuPage